In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston: The Town that Went to Sea

The John Ruggles House

John Ruggles House, East Main Street, Thomaston, Maine 2008
John Ruggles House, East Main Street, Thomaston, Maine 2008

Item Contributed by
Thomaston Historical Society

Senator John Ruggles designed and built his federal-style home for his family in 1827. The house is impressive in size and fine detail both inside and out. Four large rooms on each floor flank a central hall, and an ell extends from the back of the house. The entry, decorated with pilasters and keystone arches, features a window surround with unusual glass pattern. The interior doorways have elegant proportions with fine moldings. Some of the mantels are of the coveted Thomaston black marble, exports of which generated an annual revenue of some $20-$30,000 during this period.

At one time a small one-storey building, used as Mr. Ruggles law office, stood just below to the east. His wife’s sister married the Honorable John O’Brien, who owned the marble manufactory at Mill River, and they built the house to the west in a similar federal hip-roof style.