In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston: The Town that Went to Sea

The Mall on West Main Street

South side of the Main Street Mall, Thomaston, Maine 2008
South side of the Main Street Mall, Thomaston, Maine 2008

Item Contributed by
Thomaston Historical Society

In 1803 road improvements were made resulting in the straightening of the Old County Road (currently Route One). This left a curved section of road encircling a grassy area between the two roadways. It was later set off by fencing and lined with trees by William Keith and other civic-minded citizens, and has since been known as the Mall on West Main Street. Today the Mall is bordered by houses that were built for influential citizens and sea captains of the 19th century. Fine examples of Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Italianate and Victorian architecture reflect the affluence of the times.