In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston: The Town that Went to Sea

The Carr O'Brien Block

Prison Corner, Thomaston, ca. 1871
Prison Corner, Thomaston, ca. 1871Item Contributed by
Thomaston Historical Society

In 1852 Edward O’Brien and Benjamin Carr, former prison warden, built the Carr O’Brien Block at the Upper Corner (corner of Wadsworth and Main Streets) on the site of the former Paine Store. This imposing four-storey brick building has served as a bank, commercial shops, sail loft, boot and shoe factory, clothing factory, and now houses the Prison Showroom, a retail outlet for products manufactured by prisoners.