In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston: The Town that Went to Sea

The Watts Block

Watts Block, Thomaston, 1890
Watts Block, Thomaston, 1890

Item Contributed by
Thomaston Historical Society

Captain Samuel Watts purchased the deteriorated building that once housed Flint’s grocery store on the southwest corner of Knox and Main Streets, and moved it to another location. He built an impressive three-storey brick hip-roof building and presented it to the town of Thomaston. It was named the Watts Block and it housed Watts Hall, which is still used as a meeting hall for citizens today. A fire in 1915 destroyed the building, but it was immediately rebuilt, and one of the three commercial spaces continues to serve as a Town Hall. A hall with a theater stage is on the second floor.