In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston: The Town that Went to Sea

Hotels in Thomaston

Knox Hotel, Thomaston, ca. 1871
Knox Hotel, Thomaston, ca. 1871

Item Contributed by
Thomaston Historical Society

In addition to numerous boarding houses throughout town, Thomaston had two hotels for guests seeking lodging. Joseph Berry built the Knox House (later changed to Knox Hotel) in 1828. A stable stood in the rear, the source of a disastrous fire in 1915 that destroyed the hotel and two business blocks on the south side of Main Street.

The Knox Hotel was rebuilt shortly after the fire. The Georges Hotel was built in 1852 on the corner of George's and West Main Street, and was modified in the late 19th century with a change in the roofline. It was destroyed by fire in 1911 and was never rebuilt. During the days of the Knox and Lincoln stage route, this hotel was a popular business.