In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston: The Town that Went to Sea

The Humphrey House

Humphrey House, Thomaston, ca. 1871
Humphrey House, Thomaston, ca. 1871Item Contributed by
Thomaston Historical Society

Howland Rogers was another builder brought to Thomaston by General Knox. He built the impressive Monk Humphrey House on Wadsworth Street, a grand three-storey Federal style house, which was dismantled around 1940. Another example of Rogers’ work is a house on Shibles Lane that was built in 1805. A curved stair and mantels with Adamesque detail indicate the work of a trained professional of the time.