In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston: The Town that Went to Sea

The Edward O'Brien House

Edward O'Brien House, Main Street, Thomaston, Maine 1855
Edward O'Brien House, Main Street, Thomaston, Maine 1855

Item Contributed by
Thomaston Historical Society

In 1845 George Robinson sold the house at 313 Main Street to the Honorable Edward O’Brien, who became the wealthiest man in Thomaston. Edward O’Brien sold this property to his son, Edward Ellis O’Brien, in 1856. Edward, Sr. purchased a second lot across the street at 326 Main Street in 1847. He then moved from Warren to Thomaston, and lived here until he died in 1882. Both houses were built in the Gothic Revival style, being very similar in exterior appearance. Full-length windows carried to the floor on the first floor of both houses. Each house had decorated vergeboards along the eaves, and porches extended the width of the front façades, wrapping around to side entries. In later years, bay windows were added to the house at 313 Main Street, and the front porches were removed from both.