In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Thomaston: The Town that Went to Sea

Stimpson House

The Stimpson House, Thomaston, ca. 1960
The Stimpson House, Thomaston, ca. 1960

Item Contributed by
Thomaston Historical Society

Captain John Bradford Rider, an artillery officer in the Revolution, built many of the houses for General Knox. One of the houses he built was for Henry Jackson Knox, the General’s son, in 1794. In the 1820s, this house on Pine Street was lived in by Brown Stimpson, a druggist and mining expert. The original ceilings were reported to be 12’ downstairs and 9’ upstairs. Captain Rider’s son, Thomas, was also a joiner, who, among others, built his own house on Wadsworth Street.